STEM Education Service Learning in Nanjing, China study abroad – STEM service learning in a global context. With the Jiangsu Second Normal University (JSSNU) in Nanjing, China, we will offer a suite of courses in which undergraduate and graduate students will learn to work in meaningful and personally relevant service activities while building and strengthening their relationship with a K-12 rural school and community near Nanjing, China, Jiangsu Province.
Things you will learn and do in the 2017 program:
- Contribute to a service project that meets the expressed needs of teachers in a rural school in the Jiangsu Province
- Learn how to plan and implement culturally-relevant STEM lessons, integraCng concepts of science, mathemaCcs, and engineering design for K-12 classroom instrucCon
- Build knowledge of the nature of STEM teaching and learning in China
- Get to know students and teachers in a Chinese elementary classroom
- Work side-by-side with teachers from a rural school in China and
- JSSNU faculty or staff to adapt STEM lessons for the rural teachers’ classrooms
- Engage Chinese students with interacCve STEM acCviCes targeCng fundamental concepts of science, mathemaCcs, and engineering design
- Learn about Chinese culture, Nanjing’s place in the history of China, and the nature of the Chinese language
- Enhance your intercultural knowledge and appreciaCon of different cultures, ideas, tradiCons, and perspecCves
Dates: May 15 to June 11, 2017.
Estimated cost: (tuition and fees, hotel, meals, local transportation, not including flight) – $4750
Dr. David Sederberg, Department of Physics and Astronomy; email@example.com
Dr. Lynn Bryan, Departments of Curriculum and InstrucCon, and Physics and Astronomy; firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Flyer: sa-china-flyer_r